Shows - Template
Eccleston to Take Control of the Tardis
Rachel Williams (scotsman.com)
Actor Christopher Eccleston is to be the new Doctor Who when the cult sci-fi show returns to our screens next year, it was announced tonight.
Eccleston, star of Flesh and Blood and The Second Coming, will appear as the TV Time Lord in the 13-part BBC1 series to be shown in 2005.
The BBC said the Salford-born 40-year-old would take the famous doctor into the 21st century in a “fresh and modern approach” involving travelling through time and space and fighting monsters on all fronts.
Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning, said: “We are delighted to have cast an actor of such calibre in one of British television’s most iconic roles.
“It signals our intention to take Doctor Who into the 21st century, as well as retaining its core traditional values – to be surprising, edgy and eccentric.
“We have chosen one of Britain’s finest actors to play what, in effect, will be an overtly modern hero.”
Executive producer and writer Russell T Davies said: “We considered many great actors for this wonderful part, but Christopher was our first choice.
“This man can give the Doctor a wisdom, wit and emotional range as far-reaching as the Doctor’s travels in time and space.
“His casting raises the bar for all of us. It’s going to be a magnificent, epic, entertaining journey, and I can’t wait to start.”
The series will be filmed in Cardiff later this year.
Date Added: 3/19/2004
More Doctor Who News:
1) 1/3/2009 - Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor
2) 5/20/2008 - Steven Moffat to succeed Davies as Executive Producer
3) 4/23/2007 - SCI FI Picks Up Who Year 3
4) 3/16/2006 - TV Review: DOCTOR WHO - Series Premiere - "Rose"
5) 1/12/2006 - Doctor Who checks into SCI FI
6) 12/1/2005 - Who Will Hit U.S. TV
7) 7/25/2005 - Past Dr Who companion to return
8) 6/18/2005 - Writer's Praise for Dr Who Star
9) 6/15/2005 - Third series of Dr Who confirmed
10) 4/16/2005 - David Tennant confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who
11) 3/9/2005 - Revitalised Doctor Who takes off
12) 8/4/2004 - Daleks back to fight Doctor Who
13) 5/24/2004 - Billie Piper is Doctor Who helper
14) 3/19/2004 - Eccleston to Take Control of the Tardis
15) 3/4/2004 - Comedy writers join Doctor Who
16) 1/17/2004 - Doctor Who to return in 12-part mega-series
17) 9/26/2003 - Doctor Who returns to TV
|Books||Comic Books||Doctor Who||OU Sooners Football||People||Recipes||Shows||Songs|
|Type40 Home||Family||Fletcher||Jolynne||NeeNee's Blog||Kayleigh's Blog||My Blog||Links|
This site is written and maintained by Type40 Web Design