Shows - Template
Who Will Hit U.S. TV
SciFi.com (Sci Fi Wire)
Burton Cromer—vice president of BBC Direct, which is releasing the first season of the British SF series Doctor Who on DVD—told SCI FI Wire that the BBC made the unusual decision to release the DVD in the United States before the show had found a broadcast outlet there. But he added that the show will find its way onto American TV, one way or another.
"It will be going on television," Cromer said in an interview. "There're lots of discussions going on, and I can't really talk about that. This is a unique situation, really, because there are so many fans of Doctor Who ... already out there, and we were just finding [that] people were getting ... secondhand copies or copies from the U.K. ... We really wanted fans to get the best, most complete version in the United States as [soon as] we possibly could. So we made the decision, and it is unique, to go ahead of the TV broadcast with the DVD and to release the gift set of the DVD basically within two and a half to three months [after] the U.K. [version]."
Since its premiere earlier this year, the updated Doctor Who has been a smash hit in Great Britain, and U.S. fans have been clamoring for a way to see the series legally stateside. There's no downside to a U.S. DVD release, even if the show has yet to be seen on American TV, Cromer added. "The good news for us is that we already have that loyal fan base, but then when the show does broadcast in the U.S., we'll have a whole new fan base, because it's just a new Doctor Who: very exciting, but still the great stories and as great as the old Doctor Who," he said.
Doctor Who is gearing up production of its second season in the United Kingdom, which will appear next year. A special Christmas episode, meanwhile, will air this month. The U.S. DVD will feature the entire first season of Doctor Who, starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. It hits stores on Feb. 14, 2006.
Date Added: 12/1/2005
More Doctor Who News:
1) 1/3/2009 - Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor
2) 5/20/2008 - Steven Moffat to succeed Davies as Executive Producer
3) 4/23/2007 - SCI FI Picks Up Who Year 3
4) 3/16/2006 - TV Review: DOCTOR WHO - Series Premiere - "Rose"
5) 1/12/2006 - Doctor Who checks into SCI FI
6) 12/1/2005 - Who Will Hit U.S. TV
7) 7/25/2005 - Past Dr Who companion to return
8) 6/18/2005 - Writer's Praise for Dr Who Star
9) 6/15/2005 - Third series of Dr Who confirmed
10) 4/16/2005 - David Tennant confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who
11) 3/9/2005 - Revitalised Doctor Who takes off
12) 8/4/2004 - Daleks back to fight Doctor Who
13) 5/24/2004 - Billie Piper is Doctor Who helper
14) 3/19/2004 - Eccleston to Take Control of the Tardis
15) 3/4/2004 - Comedy writers join Doctor Who
16) 1/17/2004 - Doctor Who to return in 12-part mega-series
17) 9/26/2003 - Doctor Who returns to TV
|Books||Comic Books||Doctor Who||OU Sooners Football||People||Recipes||Shows||Songs|
|Type40 Home||Family||Fletcher||Jolynne||NeeNee's Blog||Kayleigh's Blog||My Blog||Links|
This site is written and maintained by Type40 Web Design