Shows - Template
Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor
Paul Hayes (Outpost Gallifrey)
26-year-old actor Matt Smith has been cast as the Eleventh Doctor, as revealed in today's special broadcast of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One. Smith will succeed David Tennant in the role for the fifth series, which begins filming this summer and will air in 2010.
Smith has appeared in various television productions, including alongside Billie Piper in the BBC's adaptations of the Philip Pullman novels The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North. He co-starred in the drama series Party Animals, and on stage was in Alan Bennett's acclaimed play The History Boys.
Smith was born and bred in Northampton, England, and later attended the University of East Anglia in Norwich. He is the youngest actor ever to have been cast as the Doctor in the TV series.
BBC News quotes Smith as saying: "I've got this wonderful journey in front of me where I've got this six months to build this Time Lord - and that's such an exciting prospect." Executive producer Piers Wenger has said that: "It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him. You are either the Doctor or you are not." The BBC News site has also published a profile of Smith, while the official website has a video interview with the actor available to UK users. The first BBC News story has been updated with a clip from an interview with Smith, which is available to users worldwide.
The BBC Press Office, meanwhile, has a full release with quotes from new chief writer Steven Moffat, who was one of those behind Smith's casting. "The Doctor is a very special part, and it takes a very special actor to play him. You need to be old and young at the same time, a boffin and an action hero, a cheeky schoolboy and the wise old man of the universe. As soon as Matt walked through the door, and blew us away with a bold and brand new take on the Time Lord, we knew we had our man."
Date Added: 1/5/2009
More Doctor Who News:
1) 1/3/2009 - Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor
2) 5/20/2008 - Steven Moffat to succeed Davies as Executive Producer
3) 4/23/2007 - SCI FI Picks Up Who Year 3
4) 3/16/2006 - TV Review: DOCTOR WHO - Series Premiere - "Rose"
5) 1/12/2006 - Doctor Who checks into SCI FI
6) 12/1/2005 - Who Will Hit U.S. TV
7) 7/25/2005 - Past Dr Who companion to return
8) 6/18/2005 - Writer's Praise for Dr Who Star
9) 6/15/2005 - Third series of Dr Who confirmed
10) 4/16/2005 - David Tennant confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who
11) 3/9/2005 - Revitalised Doctor Who takes off
12) 8/4/2004 - Daleks back to fight Doctor Who
13) 5/24/2004 - Billie Piper is Doctor Who helper
14) 3/19/2004 - Eccleston to Take Control of the Tardis
15) 3/4/2004 - Comedy writers join Doctor Who
16) 1/17/2004 - Doctor Who to return in 12-part mega-series
17) 9/26/2003 - Doctor Who returns to TV
|Books||Comic Books||Doctor Who||OU Sooners Football||People||Recipes||Shows||Songs|
|Type40 Home||Family||Fletcher||Jolynne||NeeNee's Blog||Kayleigh's Blog||My Blog||Links|
This site is written and maintained by Type40 Web Design